Wednesday, August 1, 2012
Porphyria Education for MDs~ Have you Ordered this Yet?
The APF promotes comprehensive health care necessary to
manage life with porphyria. We encourage members to call
the office and request a free Acute Porphyria Physician
Education Kit for your doctor. Treating physicians can also
get information about consulting a Porphyria specialist on diagnosis
and patient care.
Acute Porphyria Physician Education Kit contents:
• “Diagnosis and Management of the Acute Porphyrias,”
(Annals Int Med, March 2005);
• APF Brochures on all of the porphyrias (written by porphyria
• Detailed information on biochemical and genetic testing
• Detailed information on treatment of acute porphyria
with Panhematin® (hemin for injection), and preparing
hemin with albumin.
The APF also offers:
• An acute porphyria Drug Safety Database;
• Two Continuing Medical Education courses on Porphyria
(online, free of charge to practicing physicians);
• A PowerPoint presentation, suitable for detailed presentation
to students and hospital staff;
• Porphyria Live (30-minute educational DVD focusing on
PCT, AIP and EPP, features patient stories and extended specialist
For more information, call 713-266-9617 or 866-APF-3635.
ALIE CAMPBELL PORPHYRIA and ME TYPE OF PORPHYRIA Variegate Porphyria (VP) My story is probably not much different than most. I...
Erythropoietic Protoporphyria What is erythropoietic protoporphyria? The word ‘erythropoietic’ means associated with red blood cells (‘...
#PAW2018 This year, each day we will bring you a member story of each type, a Medical Fact on each type, Medications approved ...